Enter the name for this tabbed section: How to Get to Posio
The nearest airport to Posio
is 59 km away in Kuusamo
and the nearest railway stations are located 132 km away in Rovaniemi
, and 97 km away in Kemijärvi
. There are direct bus connections from Rovaniemi and Kuusamo to Posio but not from Kemijärvi.
You can see bus timetables and buy tickets and on the Matkahuolto website
Enter the name for this tabbed section: Getting Around Posio
The village of Posio is spread out a little bit so the best way to get around is actually by car, especially since many of the attractions are a good distance away from the central village area. Taxi hire is available.
Enter the name for this tabbed section: Posio Weather
Check out the forecast on the FInnish Meteorological Institute for up to date weather in Posio.
You can see the current weather conditions below.
Enter the name for this tabbed section: Things To Do in Posio
- Snowmobile Safaris
- Cross country skiing
- Downhill skiing
- Ice climbing
- Husky safaris
- Reindeer safaris
- Viewing Auroras
- Berry picking
- Horse trekking
- Disc golf
- Korouoma Nature Reserve - 30km long gorge with steep cliff faces.
- Riisitunturi National Park - Nearby national part that is almost entireley at 300 meteres above sea level.
- Riisin Rääpäsy Trail - Day hike trail in Riisitunturi National Park.
- Lake Livojärvi - Popular summer destination.
- Pyytöuoma - Nice nature path, good for day trips.
- Auttiköngäs - log flume and waterfall
- Birdwatching tower - Observation tower on the shore of Lake Posionjärvi.
- Karitunturi protection area - Peatland protection area next to Riisitunturi National Park.
- Kirintövaara Hill - Skiing area.
- Palotunturi - nature path near Pernu.
- Mustarinnantunturi - nature reserve area with rugged wilderness and no marked trails.
- Naumanniemi Home Museum - Private museum and cultural heritage site.
- Log dispatching facility - log flume between Lake Kitkajärvi and Lake Livojärvi.
- Posio Church - built in the 1920s.
- Midnight sun - In summer time its quite a surreal experience to stay up late into the evening to watch the different colors produced as the sun floats on the horizon. In general, the night sky is luminous from May until mid August
- Northern lights (Aurora Borealis) - many visitors come to Lapland hoping to see the dancing solar winds in the night sky.
Enter the name for this tabbed section: Posio Travel Tips
Enter the name for this tabbed section: Finding Accommodation
- Everyman's Right (in Summer)
- There are various motels and small accommodation providers to choose from in the Posio area.