If you're traveling in Lapland in Summer
, you'll probably be spending a lot of time outdoors enjoying the forests, feels, rivers, and lakes. While there may not be many people around, one creature you will run into many of are mosquitoes - they are everywhere in the summertime.
Here are a few tips to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes
during your visit:
- Keep as much of your skin covered as possible when participating in outdoor activities like hiking, especially socks as mosquitoes will even go after your feet if you are wearing sandals.
- Wear semi-loose, tight weave clothing as mosquitoes can bite through skin tight materials.
- Use repellent whenever you go for hikes or plan to spend an extended amount of time outside. If you aren't sure how long a hike is, its still best to bring repellent with you so that you have it if needed.
- Mosquitos are around during the entire day, but are in greater numbers around dusk and dawn and right before or after it rains. You can minimize your contact with mosquitoes by planning your outdoor activities at other times of the day.
- Mosquitoes spend more time near areas of water and also in the shade so staying in sun will help minimize your contact with them, even if only a little bit.
- Its good to wear a hat because mosquitoes will bite you anywhere, even on your head. They can also get stuck in long hair so its good to brush your hair out at the end of a day of hiking.
- Wear netting over your face when you go hiking. While this may feel strange and inconvenient, it can help with dealing with large amounts of mosquitoes you will encounter when hiking in certain areas of Lapland, such as bogs.
Its inevitable that even if you take all of the above precautions, you will still probably get a mosquito bite or two as they are sneaky little insects that somehow manage to find their way into your car or find some skin thats uncovered if only for a few minutes. But if you don't take any of the precautions above, you may go home with lots of red itchy mosquito bites and may not enjoy your trip as much as you would have liked to. So be smart, and be safe, and take precautions to minimize mosquito bites while in Lapland.